For a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one has been charged with a sex crime in the Boston area, you are likely experiencing a range of emotions, from fear and confusion, to anger and outrage. Being accused of a sex crime is a very serious matter that has the potential for lifelong consequences. Along with a possible lengthy prison sentence, hefty fees, and a criminal record, sex offenses carry the additional burden of requiring registration as a sex offender. A sex offense conviction will have severe consequences on your life, employment, and even basic civil rights.
It is absolutely critical that you retain the representation of a skilled Boston sex crimes attorney. Your future depends upon it. Boston, Massachusetts criminal defense lawyer Stephen Neyman will zealously and aggressively defend you against your sex crime charge. At the Law Offices of Stephen Neyman, P.C., we are fully prepared to handle your sex crime case. As a leading Boston criminal defense law firm, we can provide you with the direction and legal counsel you need to fight your misdemeanor or felony sex crime charges.Important Tips for Those Accused of a Sex Crime
If you have been accused of a sex crime, you are likely stressed and confused. To this end, we have prepared the following list of tips to help you protect your legal rights:
- Do not talk to the police — at least until you have consulted with a knowledgeable Boston sex crimes attorney. Whatever statements you make now, which might be influenced by the stress of being accused of a crime, can and will impact your case. The police do not have your best interests at heart and are merely trying to booster the case against you. Do not speak with the police unless it is at the recommendation of your defense attorney.
- Do not speak to anyone about the charges — it would be wise to take it a step further—do not discuss the sex crime allegations or circumstances surrounding it with anyone besides your defense attorney. Police investigators will interview those close to you in an effort to gather evidence against you. It is best not to make any statements concerning the allegations because it could harm your case.
- Immediately retain a skilled criminal defense attorney — as soon as you have been charged with a sex crime, or even when you suspect you may be, it is crucial that you immediately retain the assistance of an experienced sex crimes attorney. Once you have been charged, proceedings against you will move quickly and aggressively. The Commonwealth is notoriously tough on sex crimes. By retaining a skilled criminal defense attorney as soon as possible, you are giving yourself the best chance at mounting a successful defense. A criminal defense attorney will immediately set out interviewing those involved in the incident, subpoena crucial evidence, and challenge any violations that occurred to your rights. These steps taken at an early stage of the proceedings can make the difference between an acquittal and a conviction. Do not gamble with your future.
- Educate yourself and begin preparing your defense — educate yourself on the charge or charges against you and the possible penalties you face. Research potential defense attorneys thoroughly and only go with an experienced local sex crimes attorney. With the assistance of the attorney you select, begin gathering crucial documents and identifying witnesses who may help your defense. Consider what experts might aid your defense, and what psychological testing could assist you. Early preparation is key to your defense.
- Realize the seriousness of the charges — all too often, individuals charged with sex crimes might feel that because they are innocent, there is no possibility of conviction; or think that the prosecution has no case, so there is no need to worry. This kind of attitude can result in conviction. The reality is that innocent people are convicted of sex crimes at alarming rates. In fact, one study examining old sexual assault convictions cleared by new DNA evidence found that between 8 and 15% of convicted offenders were actually innocent. Further, you cannot predict the strength of the prosecution’s case. You never know what witnesses may be located last minute or evidence overturned. A sex offense charge is always a serious matter. It should never be taken lightly. Your best defense will always be retaining an experienced, aggressive sex crimes attorney as soon as possible.
Your skilled criminal defense attorney will examine the facts of your case and select the best defense for your particular circumstances. The following is a list of the most common defenses against sex crime charges:
- Reveal the accuser’s illicit motive — one possible defense is to uncover the illicit motivation behind the accuser’s claims. This may include a failed relationship, an attempt to cover up guilt after consensual sex, divorce or custody disputes, manipulation of children, etc. A skilled defense attorney will thoroughly investigate your case and uncover whether the accuser has an illicit motive.
- Challenge the evidence — this can include attempts to suppress the evidence because it was wrongly obtained or contaminated, or the hiring of outside experts to examine the evidence. Challenges to the physical evidence against you can prove crucial to your defense, as police officers must comply with stringent standards for the collection and preservation of evidence that often they fail to follow. An experienced criminal defense attorney will know what motions to suppress evidence should be filed and what evidence should be tested by an outside expert.
- Expose tainted testimony — this defense is particularly suited for child abuse allegations. Children are highly susceptible to biased or suggestive interviewing. A child’s testimony can become tainted if the child has been exposed to this corrosive type of interviewing. A skilled criminal defense attorney will uncover potential tainted testimony and seek to exclude it.
The Law Offices of Stephen Neyman has over twenty years experience defending clients like you against all variety of sex crimes. Stephen Neyman understands the seriousness of your sex crime charge and will begin mounting your defense immediately. After the initial client interview, our legal team and our investigative team will work tirelessly to expose the flaws in the district attorney’s case. When necessary, we interview all persons who are able to expose the illicit motive of the accuser. We look closely into suspect police investigative practices to make sure our client’s rights were not violated. When they are, we challenge these practices before a judge and, if necessary a jury. We will do whatever is required to prove our client’s innocence. Call The Law Offices of Stephen Neyman today at (617) 263-6800 to schedule your initial consultation.
Si usted habla español contacta a nuestro asistente de abogado Maria Rivera en 617-877-6270.
- Aggravated Rape
- Rape Committed by Joint Enterprise
- Aggravated Rape During the Commission of Other Offenses
- Assault With Intent to Commit Rape
- Forcible Rape of a Child
- Indecent Assault and Battery on a Child Under Fourteen
- Indecent Assault and Battery on a Person Aged Fourteen or Older
- Rape Resulting in or Committed With Acts Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury
- Statutory Rape
- Dissemination or Possession of Obscene Matter
- Enticing Away Person for Prostitution or Sexual Intercourse
- Inducing a Minor Into Prostitution
- Prostitution, Pimping, and Soliciting
- Failure to Register as a Sex Offender
- Termination of Obligation to Register as a Sex Offender
- Lifetime Community Parole Supervision
- Annoying and Accosting a Person of the Opposite Sex
- Lewd, Wanton and Lascivious Acts
- Open and Gross Lewd and Lascivious Behavior
- Human Trafficking and Sexual Servitude